Wednesday, May 16, 2007
Crazies on the train
I am now resolved to wake up earlier (with my alarm) and get out of the house and to the train and work on time. Of course, this is good for the normal reasons- I will get to leave work earlier, my day seems less long when my lunch hour is in the middle of my day (rather than an hour after getting to work), and the train is running more frequently during rush hour. However, this morning I realized one more good reason to get my butt out of bed early- the crazies don't wake early and ride the train!

I have had a fair share of entertainment on the public transit system over the last two years. There of course was the woman who was staggering around and stumbled into the street, barely recovered without hitting pavement, and wobbled back to the train station entrance, then proceeded to hang on the rail all the way down to the platform right before falling smack on her butt. Except for the severe drunk state that limited her gracious mobility, you might have thought she looked normal.

You cannot say that about everyone. Some people are visibly rotting from the outside, others just smell like it. Then there was the woman this morning whose palms apparently were bothering her because she scratched them THE WHOLE train ride. It sounded like grinding sandpaper. Of course this was interrupted by the woman behind me who sneezed on the back of my head. She did apologize, but really, how does that make it better? Ewww, gross!

One man, who had never ridden the metro before (he kept asking questions), had some kind of skin fungus growing under where he normally wore his watch. That apparently did not stop me from showing him how to catch the correct train at the red line station.

This was followed by the woman who had a saggy wrinkly beer belly and wore a half shirt like she was in style. I was amazed she managed to get a bra on.



To top it all off, there was the woman today in Pershing Square who was walking around in a T-shirt, and I kid you not, her blue and white cotton undies. A man putting on his shirt (he had a LOT of tattoos) was following her. Yikes.


On the bright side, there is a nice looking tall lady who rides the train every morning, who also catches my eye, although for better reasons. She has this long dread locked hair that she keeps changing how she designs it (I don't have a better word for what she does with her hair, it really is a design masterpiece). My only question is this- in the two years that I have seen her wearing her hair like this, how do you wash dread locks?



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog entry, quite frankly, makes me love my car. :)

> in the two years that I have seen
> her wearing her hair like this, how
> do you wash dread locks?

I've known a couple of people with dreadlocks. My understanding is that the answer is this: Rarely.

- Jeff

Post a Comment

<< Home