Wednesday, May 02, 2007
The Magic Castle
Paul and I, and some friends of ours, Glenna and Jeff went to the Magic Castle last night. We had tickets courtesy of Celia (thanks!) to go on a Monday or Tuesday. Although we have tried to go a number of times before, it is hard to get a group together on a weekday to go. So, after my Tuesday night class ended, it seemed like a good time to try make plans (plus it was a great way to unwind after this weekend... I am sure Paul needed it too- after having to deal with me!)

We arrived at the Magic Castle around 6:30pm. The first show starts at 7pm, so we had the perfect amount of time to check out part of the first floor, and grab a drink.

We saw the close up magic show first. This is an awesome show where the magician has two people seated at his table (from the audience). He did card and coin tricks that would amaze anyone.

Then we had a great dinner (I accidentally ordered twice as much food as I wanted), but we managed not to have any leftovers, and we found room for dessert!

After that we caught the main act of the night- a three act show. The first lady combined dance and magic, pulling a guy from the audience to demo the sword through the neck trick. I think he was a willing participant until she demonstrated the sword on a balloon. Then he did not look so excited about being on stage. She gave him a bottle of wine for being a volunteer, which she brought out from his jacket- neat trick.

The next guy (John) had seen us wandering around before the show and he gave us a quick tour. As the second act he did a great alliteration act where he pulled a picked card from a pile of pickles he placed on a paper plate. (I guess you had to see it).

The last performer really did not do that much magic, but he was hilarious and kept us all well entertained. He accidentally pulled a guy who took himself too seriously up onto the stage (with puffed out chest this guy says, "I make weapons of mass destruction." then he ticked off examples on his fingers, but they were really not WMD, but rather planes. What a complete ass... he was booted from the stage- I might have booed him if I hadn't been avoiding drawing attention to myself for fear of being the next volunteer victim).

We could not take pictures inside the castle, but we managed to document that fact that we got dressed up (I will post them soon).






2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

How could you leave out the best part!? We bumped into George McFly there as well (aka Crispin Glover)!

"Hello? Hello? Anybody home? Huh? Think, McFly. Think!"

-- Paul

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! The Magic Castle. What a fun place. I hope you had a good time! Well anyhow we look forward to a birthday in Vegas in January. I'm already starting the countdown. Seriously. See you in H-town soon enough!

Post a Comment

<< Home