Thursday, October 25, 2007
Amsterdam
Am*dam first night!

We arrived in Amsterdam pretty late. After de-boarding the train, we went in search of the light rail train number 17 that would drop us off about 3 minutes walk from the hotel. Yea right. We got on this train and the lady only had two day passes on her to sell (she sits in the middle of the train and you can only enter by her or the conductor, so you have to show your pass or buy one. I guess this system puts people to work.) Anyway, we finally get some passable tickets for the train ride, then all of a sudden it is our stop. However, you cannot exit by the door we entered (which is where we are standing). The signs direct you to the front and the back of the train.



I tell everyone this problem, and they start to move, but it is almost too late. We are at the stop, people are hard to squeeze past, and we are going to miss our exit. So as someone pushed the open button on the outside of the door that says no exit, I hop out. I am the only one. No one else figures out how to get off the train, so I am standing in the middle of the street in Amsterdam watching the train pull away. Opps. I wait on the other side for them to take the train back, and only 5 minutes later a taxi goes by me, a door opens, and someone yells, “Laura!” I run over to the group and hop in. They decided to take a cab instead. They could not figure out how to exit the train and it took them two whole stops before they could get off. We find this out later, but where they exited was really close to the hotel. Then we had to meet his guy on the street corner, and have him show us the apartment we would be renting for a few days.

This was an apartment hotel that Jaako found. This place and idea was really neat. The stairs were not. I have stayed in Amsterdam before, and the stair in the other hotel were exactly like these- a carpeted ladder! We had to go straight up. The guy who meet us, Sanne, offered to carry my luggage, which I politely refused until I realized it was 4 flights. He kind of insisted after the first set of stairs. I think I was holding up the group, LOL. We made it all the way to the penthouse apartment, which had skylights and everything. It only had one bedroom, so three of us had to sleep in the living room, but it worked out alright.


2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Wow, you've been busy! It sounds like you could have used my Map Boy super powers though.

All that I'm managed to do in the meantime is fly to Austin. I did go diving though so naa, naa, naa ;-)

-- Paul

p.s. am*damn, nice

Blogger laura said...

I saw the Am*dam thing somewhere, so I cannot take credit. Took me a minute to understand it though.

Post a Comment

<< Home