Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Luxembourg
Welcome and reception at private club

Tuesday morning was an early morning after not much sleep the night before. We caught a train to Luxembourg (unknowingly with some of our classmates!) to meet the rest of our class at the hostel. Whew, you know, I definitely know why I haven’t stayed at a hostel since getting here. I think I am getting too old and cranky for it. I also managed to forget the common rules at a hostel- I did not bring my own towel. So I had to buy one (they did not have a rental towel). This towel did nothing to soak up water on your body, it merely served to push it around a bit. I was not anxious to haul a useless towel around with me for the rest of the trip, so since there were 6 girls, one shower, and the water was getting everywhere, I donated my towel as a floor mat after I was done using it.

The first night in Luxembourg was fantastic. I took a short nap while everyone else tooled around town. Then Professor Baudenbacher had us over to a private club for dinner-- a sit-down formal dinner. I was dressed up for the occasion (but NOT for the walk down the hill- high heels downhill on cobblestone is an ankle snap waiting to happen.) The dinner was fantastic. We had wonderful foods, that I am not even entirely sure what they all were- shell fish and lettuce salad, chicken and vegetables, and a trilogy of desserts! We also enjoyed some fantastic champagne, white and red wines, and coffee. The dinner and conversation was a real treat.

We arrived at the club before the Baudenbachers, and had an aperitif (water for me), while we waited. We stood around discussing the case that we would see in the morning and meeting some of the students from another class. Prof. Baudenbacher and his wife came shortly thereafter, and we got a chance to talk with them before sitting down. I had orchestrated buying a wine on behalf of the class, but I was not sure when to present it to them. At a pause in the conversation, I started to bring the wine out, but Prof. Baudenbacher told me to wait and present when everyone was listening. (Ahh, instant nervousness! Now I had to figure out WHEN the right time was…)

Right before we were served, once we were all seated, Prof. Baudenbacher said a few welcoming nice words. He welcomed us, and apologized that we would not see the case he was presiding over, since it was cancelled somewhat on late notice. However, as much as he loves his court, the EFTA court, he said the ECJ court was an important court to see. It was at the end of his talk that I carefully got up and said, “Is now a good time?” It was, so I thanked the Baudenbachers, on behalf of the class, for having us to dinner and I presented them with the wine.

After such a wonderful night with Herr und Frau Baudenbacher, we headed to a local bar with live music. It was smoky and crowded, but that is always a sign that it is a good bar! I had fun talking with Simon, a PhD student in law, and one of Baudenbacker’s secretaries of law. We ended up moving to another bar, which was less crowded, but shortly after that, we all wanted to head back. We had to be up and ready early and there was only one shower for six girls. HA! Mostly everyone walked up the hill, since it was not far to the hostel. I, however, called a cab. I was freezing, tired, and would never make it up the hill pleasantly in my high heels. It was a good call and probably the best 10 Euros I spent on the trip (outside of a warmer cap and thinsulate gloves.)


0 Comments: