Friday, October 26, 2007
Impressions about the S.O.
Recently, Paul and I had the opportunity to write to each other about what impresses us about the other. I thought this was a nice conversation, and it bears repeating (despite knowing that Paul will be embarrassed).

What impresses me the most? I consider Laura to be my equal.

Of course I know from experience that requires explanation because it sounds like a pretty weak statement to some people.

Who do you like to surround yourself with? Those who you feel superior to overall? Those who you feel inferior to overall? Or do you like feel most comfortable around those who you consider you peer?

Who are you most likely to go to for advice first?

Who are you most likely to want to play video games with?

Who is the first person that you think of to go to Disneyland with?

If I could have my way or didn't have other obligations, my first choice would always be my wife for all of those.

I like to ask her opinion on something before asking others. That doesn't mean I'll do exactly what she says (to her chagrin sometimes) but her's is the opinion that I most want to hear.

Basically, I don't have a huge group of friends or a large pool of people that I turn to for help and advice. Instead, I've found that one person I'm comfortable with calling my peer in every way that counts--so I married her :-) That is what impresses me the most.

As for some specifics: Laura is a kick-ass diver and is one of the few people that I would trust to go cave diving with, she can juggle 10 things on her to-do list at one time (and wouldn't be happy otherwise), she'll do anything for her friends, she will take it upon herself to help any stray animal in need, and she is incredibly driven in her career. Also, not only does Laura impress me, I'm impressed by who I become when she is around.


-- Paul



My response:

What impresses me the most about Paul is his wit, intelligence, and caring.

He is incredibly thoughtful. When we first met, he did not like sushi, but he was willing to try it again after a short argument from me. He found he could actually enjoy some sushi, and now he offers to go out for it, mainly because he knows how much I like it. He does other things like that too- he will plan an entire evening around an event that I would love to go to (Harry Potter, Wicked the musical, etc) even though he would not really consider those events if it weren’t for me. He even took me to see HP in German, and he doesn’t speak a lick of it!

These are other cute examples of things Paul think of doing for me: He knew that I played violin when I was younger, so he went and bought tickets to take me to see Itzhak Perlman at he Bass Concert Hall in Austin. He takes me to Harry Potter midnight screenings, then watches the movie again with me, then again at the IMAX (for HP5), and when it comes out on DVD, he has it ordered and gets a copy in German (for this you have to navigate amazon.de, which has no English translation, and purchase a DVD and have it mailed from Germany.) He took me to see Wicked, the musical, despite not necessarily being interested in the show, if it weren’t for my interest in seeing it. And he is always willing to do a nice evening out (with enough planning time); he gets dressed up and makes dinner plans, and it is a whole event! He takes me to Disneyland, Magic Castle, and other fun places.

I was looking over our wedding pictures today, and I was thinking back to what a wonderful day that was for me. I maintain that I would love to have that day to do over again (not to change it, but to re-live it.) It was a special day for me, and it was because of Paul that it was so wonderful. We had a small wedding with only 21 people (including us) in attendance, and better yet, Paul and I got to spend not only that day with them, but the majority of the week we were on Kauai was spent sharing activities with our guests.

I am incessantly amazed at the amount of stuff he will put up from me and the subtle ways in which he tries to help. Although I may be frustrated at times, I know that he is always thinking through every action, asking himself how he can provide help, and what can be done to relieve stress.

I also always seek his opinion, before doing lots of things! I love that he thinks through a problem thoroughly, that he takes his time, and that he thinks before he speaks. (This is a perfect complement to me, who does none of these things.) I also love that he can read maps and give directions, for without that, I would have been lost so many times.

I also love that he likes hiking, scuba, camping, rock climbing, and other outdoor activities. He has a soft spot for all animals and pays attention to all our pet’s needs.

He is supportive of my decisions and even helps to encourage me to take action with many of the things want to do (barring the motorcycle dream). Being so far away from Paul, even for this short period of time, is hard; I feel a little lost without him.


2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Hey, you are going to ruin my stoic, tough guy image! People will think that I'm a nice guy or something. I'm sure that I can fix that by posting the stuff that you left out ;-)

Love you too and can't wait for you to get back home soon

Blogger Yanny said...

As a mother, especially Paul's, reading this brought tears to my eyes and a heart so full it's left me speechless. Thank you for loving my son.

Post a Comment

<< Home