Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Mt. Baldy (well, almost)
This weekend I skipped out on the trip to Washington (insert sad face here, but I hope to be up in my FAVORITE town again soon! Okay, well second favorite... Austin still comes in first.) Instead Paul and I got to spend some quality time together cleaning the house! However, he saved me from taking out the garbage and cleaning the cat box by suggesting a nice small hike on Monday. That sounds wonderful sweetie!

(me) Ahhh, you want to try to surmount Mt. Baldy again? You mean the one we did not make it the top of last year? I mean, it is only 7900 ft in the air, ending at 10000 ft with a total of 7 miles in and back... who wouldn't be in shape to do that hike? Ha!

(him) We are in much better shape this year! It will be nice and cool up there and a good hike.

(me) In shape from all the gyms we have been frequenting? (can you hear the sarcasm through the web post?) Okay, sounds great! I am up for it!

We drug some friends along thinking that we started them out on an "easy" hike up to Mt. Lowe, so it was time to progress! They had a blast and did much better than me! We got all the way up to about 9700 ft when the altitude really started to bother me. We saw a summit and thought, hey, we can make it to the top in enough time to turn around and catch the last lift down the mountain (the ski lift is at 7900 ft and takes you to the parking lot at about 6000ft). We hiked (and Glenna ran) to the top of the summit only to find out that it was a false summit. There was another mountain hiding behind that one! Well gosh darn! We gave up at that point (not because we could not climb the rest) but because we were about to kiss the ride back to our car goodbye. We took some great pictures and headed back. We had hiked for a total of about 3.5 hours up the mountain and it took us about 1.5 hours to hike back.

I had put sunscreen on before we started out and had accidentally left my hat at the house, er, thanks to Paul, LOL. Anyway, I noticed my shoulders were red on the way down, so I tried to cover them up, but apparently the damage had been done. I had a distinct line on my forearm where my sunblock had been applied and it was bright red where the sunblock was not applied. OPPS. My back also has lines near the tank I was wearing. Next time I think I will ask for help on applying sunblock. My head also go some sun, so shampooing has been challenging to say the least.

I did, however, get to return to the house chores on Tuesday. Yea!


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally feel it today. :(

My arms are a little better... meaning I don't have to blow on them constantly to keep them cool. My leg bones got a little jarred on the hike - I think it was the hike down. I wish my forehead didn't burn as badly as it did, since now it is a little swollen and I look funny. :)

I would still do it again with you guys. I had a blast! :)

- Glenna

Anonymous Anonymous said...

> They had a blast and did much
> better than me!

Ha! Well, maybe Paul and Glenna did (Glenna especially - never thought I'd see someone "bound" up a mountain), but I wasn't doing all that much better.

Anyhow, we had tons of fun, and want to make another go at it some time. I'm sure that if you add all of our infrequent gym trips to your infrequent gym trips, we'll muster enough health to get at least one of us up the mountain. :)

- Jeff

Blogger Paul said...

We'll have to all get together soon and compare burnlines; because calling them tanlines would be misleading! We should be all healed up in time for the next attempt, right?

> Glenna especially - never
> thought I'd see someone
> "bound" up a mountain

Maybe she was just being polite about the fact that we all smelled funny?

-- Paul

Blogger Bina Simon said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
rent a skip bin

Post a Comment

<< Home