Sunday, August 26, 2007
Europe vacation - Tuesday Day 1
Whew! Getting ready for this trip has been crazy! The last few weeks of work have been busy getting ready to leave (and trying to finish a last minute project in every case I have worked on). I have this funny feeling I will be getting a call in St. Gallen asking how long it will take to get to our Geneva Sidley office (anyone want to place bets on this?)

Since I had been working on my days off and the weekend, I took Friday off to spend time with Paul. We went to Disneyland with some friends, Glenna and Jeff.

Friday night should have been my first night of trying to get acclimated to Europe time. In typical engi-nerd fashion, Paul drew up an Excel chart of our sleep schedule so that we could be on Zurich time when we landed there. However, a hot day in the sun at DL only led to me falling asleep at 6pm; there was no way I was staying up that night.

Saturday I spent trying to accomplish some last minute errands... I had not picked up our scuba tanks from the shop, we had to pick up a webcam so Paul and I can stay in touch over the Internet, needed money to travel, student ID card, rail passes, pack, email, hotel reservations,etc. So we ran around to Hollywoodivers and Fry's, got some food, and headed back to pack. I had two more days to get all my tasks done, so no biggie, right?

Sunday I had dinner with some of my CGU friends at Korean BBQ (yumm-o!!). I have to learn how to cook this stuff myself. And then it was back to frantic packing. I thought I had most of my packing figured out until Paul told me the average temperature in Europe was about 65 F. Er... methinks my shorts and tank tops will not be enough clothing for me to survive. So I rearranged to have warmer clothes with me on my two week vacation.



Monday I ran around to the bank (which doesn't carry Euros or travellers cheques in Euros), to STA travel for that international student card (that was closed until 11 am), to Starbucks for breakfast (since you DO NOT want to see me hungry), then miscellaneous errands. Then there was the packing AGAIN. I had to make sure everything was under 50 pounds, that I remembered all my chargers, that the two bags were packed with the right stuff. My plan was to stay up all night in a last ditch effort to be on schedule with Paul's sleeping (and also Zurich time). He came home from work on Monday and went right to sleep.

I did actually fall asleep around 1 am, and Paul came downstairs in a rush at almost 3 am (we meant to be on the road by then, awake by 2 am). We got all our stuffs together, fed and squeezed the cats, then flew out of the house, just to run to Rancho and wake up our friends Glenna and Jeff, to drive us to the airport (what great friends, eh? They woke up at 3am just to drop us off at the airport. Thanks you guys!!!)

I feel asleep from sheer exhaustion on the flight from California to Texas. It is too bad, because, then I couldn't sleep the whole flight to Zurich. I kept waking up because I was so uncomfortable, and then of course, I broke the light so I could not read. Awake and BORED.



We finally arrived in Zurich after a flight from Ontario to Dallas, then a 3 hour layover, then our 9 hour trip from Dallas to Zurich.


0 Comments: