Saturday, November 17, 2007
All Dogs go to Switzerland
If I were a dog, I would like to end up in Europe. I could go to restaurants, I can ride the bus, I am allowed to be on the train, and as part of the Schones Wochenende pass in Germany, 5 people and a dog can ride for something like 30 bucks! Dogs here are obedient and rarely are on leashes, and everyone has a dog companion- the old woman walking to the grocery store to the punk who hangs out at the train station.

So here are two cute dog tails from my adventures abroad:

My mom and dad were visiting Europe in August. While riding the elevator to their room, a man and a dog walk onto the lift. The dog is carrying its leash in its mouth, but once it gets onto the lift, it drops its leash. At the appropriate floor the man gets off and turns left. The dog exits, but turns right. My parents are perplexed. They wait to see if the dog will back track and follow his owner at the owner's call. Instead of seeing the dog trot after his owner to the left, my parents see the man walk after his dog the other way. He says as he passes, "The dog knows which way we go."

I was visiting Innsbruck on Wednesday night. After taking a long walk to find a restaurant, Arthur and I stumble across a cute seafood place right next to the river. As we walk up, there are some guys constructing a terrace, and a dog running around one of the guys. We go in tot he restaurant and enjoy some good food (and the waitress was awesome- she spoke German with me even though her English is better than my German.) At the end of the meal, we see the dog waiting in between the two sets of entrance doors. I mention how cute that dog is, and the waitress says, "Yea, we don't know whose dog that is, but he keeps on getting into the restaurant. He was putting his head on the table of guests and frightening them." This dog was no small dog and I guess people were unsure if he was friendly. So the waitress continues, "so we keep leading it outside with a sausage, so that it will go outside, but it keeps coming back." Um, yea... give a dog a sausage and you think it will STAY outside? Smart dog, he learned!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah I remember seeing dogs in restaurants and on trains when i was in allemagne. Well when are you back to the states? Perhaps you have returned already? I was helping a friend pick eateries in pasadena for an upcoming LA Trip and suddenly i was very hungry . . . and need to visit soon.

Post a Comment

<< Home